Thursday, 13 August 2026

Chasing the 2026 Solar Eclipse at Lough Tay, Wicklow

At 5 PM on August 12, 2026, I was still at work.

A few hours later, I was standing in the Wicklow Mountains with three cameras, three tripods and a slider, waiting for the Moon to pass in front of the Sun.

Solar Eclipse at Lough Tay, Wicklow Ireland
Nikon Z7, Nikkor 80-400mm

The plan was simple: get to Lough Tay, set everything up, capture the partial solar eclipse with the Wicklow Mountains in the frame, and hopefully come home with some good timelapse footage.

Of course, things rarely go exactly to plan.

And this time, there was a small cloud with very good timing.

Why I Chose Lough Tay

Lough Tay is one of the most recognisable landscapes in County Wicklow. The dark lake surrounded by steep green mountains makes it one of those locations that immediately looks like Ireland.

It is also commonly known as Guinness Lake, because of its association with the Guinness family and the distinctive appearance of the lake.

Sunrise at Lough Tay, Wicklow Mountains, Ireland
Lough Tay, Wicklow Mountains, Ireland

 

For this particular evening, however, I wasn't interested in photographing Lough Tay simply as a landscape.

I wanted the lake and mountains to become the foreground for something that could only be seen for a short time: the August 12, 2026 partial solar eclipse.

That was the idea, at least.

The reality turned out to be a little more complicated.

August 12, 2026 – The Day of the Eclipse

I had been waiting a long time for an event like this.

Living in County Wicklow means that the Wicklow Mountains are close enough to reach after work, and during the summer of 2026 we had been enjoying an unusually long period of dry and sunny weather.

At home, we had gone almost two months without significant rain.

On August 12, the weather looked almost perfect.

The temperature was approaching 28°C, the Sun was shining and there were only a few clouds in the sky.

That was enough.

I finished work at 5 PM, packed the car and headed towards the Wicklow Mountains.

I didn't want to spend the evening watching the eclipse from home.

I wanted mountains in the frame.

Three Cameras, Three Tripods and a Slider

Chasing the 2026 Solar Eclipse at Lough Tay, Wicklow
Sony A7sII in action

I knew from the beginning that trying to photograph and film an eclipse at the same time would be difficult.

So I decided to use several cameras and let some of them work on their own.

The car was packed with:

  • Sony A7S II

  • Nikon Z6

  • Nikon Z7

  • three tripods

  • a slider

  • several lenses and accessories

It sounds like a lot of equipment.

It was.

And that became one of the problems later.

When you have three cameras running at the same time, you can't really control everything.

At some point you have to trust your setup.

Sony A7S II

I used the Sony A7S II with a 14mm f/4 lens.

The camera was set up for a timelapse and mounted on the slider.

I used aperture priority, Auto ISO and exposure compensation at -0.7 EV.

Nikon Z6

The Nikon Z6 was paired with a 28mm f/4 lens.

Again, I used aperture priority, Auto ISO and -0.7 EV exposure compensation.

This camera was also dedicated to timelapse.

The idea was to have two wide-angle cameras recording continuously while I concentrated on photographing the eclipse with the third camera.

The Nikon Z7 and 80–400mm: The Part I Didn't Plan Well Enough

The third camera was my Nikon Z7 with an 80–400mm lens.

This was supposed to be my main stills camera.

I wanted to photograph the eclipsed Sun together with the landscape, ideally with the mountains and horizon visible in the same composition.

There was just one problem.

I hadn't prepared the Sun's exact position as carefully as I should have.

I had expected the Sun to be very low in the sky and planned my composition around that assumption.

But the actual position from Ireland wasn't quite what I had expected. Because of the time of year, our latitude and the fact that Ireland was on summer time, the Sun was not sitting where I had imagined it would be.

At 80mm, I couldn't get the horizon into the frame in the way I had planned.

It was my mistake.

I hadn't visited the location specifically to scout the eclipse composition beforehand, and I hadn't done enough detailed planning.

That's one of the things I would definitely do differently next time.

Sometimes You Have to Stop Being the Photographer

As the eclipse progressed, I found myself trying to keep an eye on everything.

Three cameras.

Three tripods.

The slider.

The eclipse.

The landscape.

The exposure.

The focus.

At some point, however, I decided that I was trying to control too much.

So, when the most important part of the eclipse arrived, I made a different decision.

I started the timelapses, left the cameras to do their job and watched the eclipse with my family.

And I'm glad I did.

2026 Solar Eclipse at Lough Tay, Wicklow

Because there are moments when having the perfect photograph is less important than actually being there.

The Light Started to Change

One of the most interesting parts of the experience wasn't the appearance of the Sun itself.

It was the change in the surrounding light.

The landscape didn't suddenly become completely dark.

Instead, the daylight gradually started to feel wrong.

The colour and intensity of the light changed, and the mountains around Lough Tay looked different from just a few minutes earlier.

It was strange.

And, honestly, quite exciting.

After experiencing it myself, I can understand why historical accounts of solar eclipses describe people reacting with fear or confusion.

We know exactly what is happening today.

We can calculate it years in advance.

We can check the exact time on our phones.

But when you're standing outside and watching daylight change in the middle of the afternoon, knowing that the change is caused by the Moon passing in front of the Sun still feels unusual.

2026 Solar Eclipse Ireland, Wicklow
Nikon Z7, Nikkor 80-400mm


And Then the Cloud Arrived

For most of the day, the sky had been almost completely clear.

There were only a few small clouds.

Then, at the most important moment, one of them decided to move directly across the Sun.

Of course it did.

For photography, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

For watching the eclipse directly, however, it was definitely frustrating.

But the same cloud that almost ruined the view ended up creating one of the most interesting effects of the entire evening.

August 12, 2026 – The Day of the Eclipse
 

The "Lasers" Around the Sun

As sunlight passed through the cloud, it created strong rays of light that seemed to move and dance around the Sun.

They almost looked like light beams or lasers coming out from behind the cloud.

I could see the effect while watching the eclipse, but I also noticed it later in the previews from the timelapse cameras.

It was one of those moments that you simply cannot plan.

You can choose the location.

You can check the forecast.

You can calculate the position of the Sun.

You can prepare three cameras.

But you cannot order one small cloud to appear in exactly the right place.

This time, the cloud accidentally added something to the scene that I couldn't have planned myself.

Then I Checked the Footage…

Everything seemed to have gone reasonably well.

The cameras had been running.

The slider had been moving.

I had watched the eclipse.

The weather had cooperated — mostly.

Then I checked the footage.

And there it was.

One of the timelapses from the Sony A7S II was out of focus.

One frame not edited from Sony Camera

I had made a mistake.

The footage is probably not usable as it is, although I will try to see whether modern AI tools can do anything to improve it.

With a 14mm lens at f/4, however, there are limits to what can realistically be recovered.

It's frustrating.

Especially when you know that the event cannot be repeated.

But the other footage looks much more promising.

And this is probably one of the most useful lessons I took away from the evening.

What I Would Do Differently Next Time

If I were planning the same shoot again, I would spend much more time preparing the location before the event.

I would specifically check:

  • the exact azimuth of the Sun at maximum eclipse

  • the Sun's altitude above the horizon

  • the exact framing from the chosen viewpoint

  • whether the planned focal length actually works

  • focus on every camera

  • battery capacity and recording time

  • the position of the cameras relative to one another

  • and the entire timelapse sequence before the eclipse begins

The biggest mistake wasn't the equipment.

It was assuming that I had planned enough.

An eclipse is not something you can easily improvise.

Once the Moon moves across the Sun, you don't get a second attempt.

Was Lough Tay a Good Location for the Eclipse?

For me, absolutely.

The reason wasn't that Lough Tay gave me a perfect photograph.

One frame from Nikon Z6

It didn't.

The reason was that the location gave the eclipse a landscape context.

Instead of photographing only the Sun, I had the mountains, lake, changing light and clouds around me.

That's what makes photographing an astronomical event from a landscape location so interesting.

The event happens in the sky, but the landscape tells you where you are.

Lough Tay is particularly recognisable, which makes it a strong location for that kind of image.

There is one important thing to know, though.

Luggala Estate is private land.

You cannot simply walk down to the lake wherever you want. The lake can be viewed from public viewpoints in the surrounding area, but visitors should respect private property and use established public access points.

Visiting Lough Tay in Wicklow

Visiting Lough Tay in Wicklow
Lough Tay, Wicklow Mountains in Winter
 

Lough Tay is located in the Wicklow Mountains in County Wicklow, close to Roundwood and the Sally Gap area.

The R759 is one of the main roads through this part of the mountains and provides access to viewpoints overlooking the lake.

The drive itself is part of the experience, but this is mountain terrain rather than a conventional tourist attraction.

Roads can be narrow, parking is limited in places and popular viewpoints can become busy.

If you're planning a visit, don't assume that you can arrive, park anywhere and walk wherever you like.

The area around Lough Tay includes private land, so always respect signs, barriers and access restrictions.

How much time do you need?

If you're stopping simply to see the view, you don't need an entire day.

If you're planning photography, walking or combining Lough Tay with other places in the Wicklow Mountains, I'd allow considerably more time.

For an event such as a solar eclipse, I would arrive well before the key moment.

You need time to park, find a safe viewpoint, set up equipment and — most importantly — make sure your composition actually works.

A Lesson From a 14mm Lens

One of the things this trip reminded me of is that wide-angle lenses can be both useful and deceptive.

My 14mm lens was perfect for showing the scale of the mountains and the changing sky.

But my 80–400mm was a completely different story.

I had imagined that I could simply use the long lens at around 80mm and still include the horizon.

That assumption was wrong.

The lesson is simple:

Don't plan an astronomical landscape composition based only on what you think the sky will look like.

Check the exact position of the Sun from the actual location.

Ideally, do it from the exact viewpoint.

Even a small difference in elevation, direction or focal length can completely change the composition.

The Part I Almost Missed

Looking back, the most important moment of the evening wasn't necessarily the shot I was trying hardest to get.

It was when I stopped.

The cameras were running.

The eclipse was happening.

My family was there.

And instead of trying to adjust one more setting, I simply watched.

The strange change in daylight.

The mountains.

The cloud moving across the Sun.

The beams of light appearing around it.

Those are things that don't always show up in a shot list.

And they are probably what I'll remember most.

What Happened to the Timelapse Footage?

 The final timelapse videos are not ready yet.

I've already looked through some of the previews, though, and there are some sequences that look very promising.

The changing light over the Wicklow Mountains is there.

The movement of the clouds is there.

And, hopefully, those strange beams of light around the Sun will make it into the final edit as well.

There is also one timelapse that I'm probably going to have to write off because of the focus mistake.

I may try to rescue it using AI-based enhancement tools, but I'm not expecting miracles.

The rest of the material needs time.

And that's something I've learned many times with photography:

Good footage takes time to prepare properly.

Especially when the event you filmed isn't coming back tomorrow.

Final Thoughts

I left work at 5 PM expecting to photograph an eclipse.

I came back with something slightly different.

I got some promising footage.

I made a mistake with focus.

I misjudged the position of the Sun for the 80–400mm setup.

A cloud appeared at exactly the wrong moment.

And then that same cloud created some of the most interesting light of the evening.

Most importantly, though, I got to watch the eclipse happen in the Wicklow Mountains with my family.

Sometimes that's the part that matters most.

The final timelapse will come in another post once I've had enough time to properly edit the footage.

For now, this is the story of the evening.

Lough Tay, Wicklow Mountains, August 12, 2026.

Three cameras.

Three tripods.

One slider.

One badly focused timelapse.

One perfectly timed cloud.

And one partial solar eclipse that was definitely worth chasing.

Night at Lough Tay in Wicklow Mountains, Ireland
Lough Tay, Wicklow


Lough Tay Quick Guide

Location: Lough Tay, Wicklow Mountains, County Wicklow, Ireland
Also known as: Guinness Lake
Nearest town: Roundwood
Main access area: R759 / Sally Gap
Type of attraction: Mountain viewpoint and landscape
Best for: Landscape photography, scenic drives, hiking and sightseeing
Access: Public viewpoints are available in the surrounding area, but Luggala Estate is private
Parking: Limited roadside and viewpoint parking; arrive early during busy periods
Suitable for families: Yes, with appropriate care around roads, steep ground and exposed areas
Recommended time: A short stop for the viewpoint, longer if combining it with other Wicklow locations

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Lough Tay?

Lough Tay is in the Wicklow Mountains in County Wicklow, Ireland, near Roundwood and the Sally Gap.

Why is Lough Tay called Guinness Lake?

Lough Tay is commonly known as Guinness Lake because of its association with the Guinness family and its distinctive appearance.

Can you visit Lough Tay?

Yes. The lake can be viewed from public viewpoints in the surrounding area. However, much of the land around the lake is private, including Luggala Estate, so visitors should respect access restrictions.

Can you drive to Lough Tay?

You can drive through the Wicklow Mountains to viewpoints overlooking Lough Tay. The R759 and Sally Gap area provide access to the surrounding viewpoints.

Is Lough Tay good for photography?

Yes. The combination of the lake, mountains, changing Irish weather and open skies makes it a popular landscape photography location.

Was the August 12, 2026 solar eclipse visible from Ireland?

Yes. A significant partial solar eclipse was visible from Ireland on August 12, 2026.

Was the August 12, 2026 eclipse total in Ireland?

No. The eclipse visible from Ireland was partial rather than total.

What time was the 2026 eclipse visible in Ireland?

The exact timing varied depending on location. In Dublin, the eclipse began at around 6:12 PM, reached maximum at around 7:10 PM and ended at around 8:05 PM local time.

Is Lough Tay suitable for families?

The main viewpoints can be visited by families, but visitors should take care around roads, steep slopes and exposed ground. There is no need to treat the area like a formal, fenced tourist attraction.


About the Author

I'm a photographer and travel enthusiast based in County Wicklow, Ireland.

I photograph landscapes, travel, changing weather and time-lapse projects, with a particular interest in capturing Ireland beyond the typical postcard view.

This article is based on my own experience of visiting the Wicklow Mountains on August 12, 2026, to watch and photograph the partial solar eclipse over Lough Tay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flag Counter